Tuesday, November 11, 2008

MCA visit


I did not visit MCA before not because I did not have a time, but because I was scared to visit there. In contrast to the Art Institute of Chicago, MCA had looked like the place only for art lovers. The field trip with class this time made me feel comfortable to be there because I knew I did not need to pretend that I knew well about arts. Inside of the museum was completely different from impression of the outside. By stepping forward, I found a lot of different exhibitions. Each of them was separated not only by the wall; their styles and the way of performance were full of individuality. I enjoyed several installations.
“Dynamic Installation” by Sarah Sze was my favorite of them. Her art work consisted of all kinds of stuff in our daily lives. In addition, the stuffs were decorated, like spider web. Her work caught my conscious and led me walk sailing into her work. The security shouts made me awake suddenly. That experience gave me a new idea about installation. I had thought installation was just dynamic, and the audience could walk around to see an art work. At installations in MCA, artists gave questions about race, politics and our way of lives. I understood these questions were answers why they were contemporary artists. They performed their arts had inspired by their lives in the present time. Some of the arts were full of joy, and others were strongly angry for my eyes.

No comments: